The name Assam is derived from a Sanskrit word, "Assom", which means 'one without equal.' This fascinates us at Herbs & Kettles because we feel the same about their teas.
Assam is the second largest Northeastern state in India. Situated just below the eastern Himalayan foothills, it stretches along the Brahmaputra River.
The one-of-a-kind malty, black tea that is produced in Assam is a hot favorite globally.
Why Tea from Assam Considered to be the Best?
Assam is not just famous for its natural beauty and the single-horned Rhino in Kaziranga, but also its tea plantations. What we love are their long growing season and abundant rainfall. This in addition to the minerals deposited by the Bhramaputra, creates the ideal conditions for high-quality Assam black tea that cannot be replicated elsewhere in the world. This quality just makes Assam one of the single largest tea-producing regions in the world. The tea is a class apart, and just one sip is distinctive enough.
What do people love about Assam Tea?
- Assam tea is known for producing the best black teas thanks to its terroir and climate.
- The teas grown in this region are known for their bold, brisk, and robust flavors that produce bright liquids. The malty flavor is a class apart, and tea lovers like us keep getting drawn to this distinctive flavor.
What is our Assam Golden Needle?
- It is luxurious and a rare black tea from Assam, composed purely of the most premium golden buds. It is extremely rich and has a superb lasting aftertaste.
- The most premium buds are carefully handpicked from the superb P-126 cultivar of the Camellia sinensis var. assamica plant, and then withered, oxidized, and dried.
- This tea is marvelous with notes of honey, malt, oak, cacao, yellow raisins, and spices like cardamom and cloves.
- This is a tea we are very proud to have, and think it is for a tea aficionado who is looking for a unique and exquisite tea!
What are the Benefits of Assam Tea?
Assam tea leaves are highly oxidized in a controlled environment to achieve a rich, savory aroma. As a result, they undergo rapid natural chemical changes that promote human health. For starters, Assam black tea contains several catechin antioxidants such as thearubigins and theaflavins that might be beneficial to the body and improve immune function as well as heart and brain health.
We're spoiling you with choice with our single origin, loose leaf tea collections from Assam:
- Assam Golden Needle
- Assam Golden Tips
- Assam Tippy Reserve
- Assam GABA
- Assam Smoked Melody